Sunday 23 April 2006

Weekend Baking Session # 9

Here comes weekend again. After 5 sessions of continuos cake baking, for this edition of Weekend Baking Session, I have thought of baking a pie.

I had a few lemons. Looking at them, a luscious lemon meringue pie came to my mind. I had wanted to try it out for nearly a year. Lemon meringue pie is a dessert made with a pastry base, lemon curd filling and a fluffy meringue topping.

Lemon Meringue Pie

What do we need:

Pie Crust:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cold butter
1/4 cup ice cold water
1/2 tsp salt

Lemon Curd Filling:



3 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups water
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt

Meringue Topping:
3 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

How do we do it:

In a food processor, place the flour, salt and cold butter. At a slow speed mix the ingredients until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Gradually, add the ice cold water 1 tablespoon at a time just until the dough binds together. Make sure not to over work the dough. Wrap with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours.

On a floured board, roll out the dough into a disk, 2 or 3 inches larger than the pan. Transfer the pastry onto the pan. Fit the pastry very well on the bottom and side of the pan. Cut excess pastry 1 cm to the outside. Pinch the pastry edges to beautify it. Line with a sheet of aluminium foil and place dried beans or rice as weights. The purpose is to prevent the pastry from bulging out when baking. This method of baking is called blind baking. Bake in a preheated oven at 230°C for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven. Then, lift the aluminium foil together with the weight. Now return the pastry shell to the oven and bake for another 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.

In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, both the flours, salt and water. Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture boils. Stir vigorously, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Slightly beat the egg yolks. Mix half the boiled mixture with the egg yolks. Then put the egg yolk mixture back into the pan with the boiled ingredients. This method is called tempering of the egg yolks. Cook for 1 more minute, stirring constantly and, again, vigorously. Remove from heat and add the butter. Stir unitl the butter melts. Add the lemon zest and juice and butter. Stir well to mix thoroughly. Set aside.

In a clean, grease free bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla.




To assemble, pour the lemon curd into the pastry shell and spread it out evenly.




Spoon the meringue over the top of the lemon curd filling. Seal the meringue to the pastry edge. Make sure there are no gaps. Spread out evenly and swirl it into peaks.




Bake in a preheated oven at 150° C for 30 or until meringue turns lightly brown. Remove and let cool on a rack before chilling it.




When serving, cut the pie with a wet knife as meringue pies cut better with a wet knife blade.

23 comments:

Luv2cook said...

Puspha:

That pie looks amazing. I did not know about blind baking with the pie. Do the rice/beans get brown when you bake the pie in the oven. Do you just throw the beans/rice after you are done?

archana said...

Good job Pushpa, looing forward to many more baking posts( and ofcourse for the rest of the posts too)!!!!
Archana

RP said...

I had plans to make a lemon meringue pie today and gathered all the ingredients, but didn't get time. :( I was planning to use graham cracker crust though. Anyway I am happy that you made it for me. :) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Interesting and it's my favorite
and will try one day with your recipe.will you mind?

Vineela said...

Hi PUSHPA,
Delicious .
Vineela

Menu Today said...

Hi,
Pie looks great and Yummy!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love lemon meringue pie, you's looks really amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Excited to see how it looks like after cut this pie….. post the photo lah….

Kitchenmate said...

Pushpa: As always, it looks yummy and you have wonder hands for baking.. Hats off to you:)

BoZoGEMOK said...

Wow!!! Pus, that was a neat looking pie! It was ages since I last made Lemon Meringue Pie in school. You are great, the guru Baker!

Unknown said...

That looks absolutely neat- like the work of a professional- i actually look forward to your baking posts- i just baked a batch of biscotti yesterday, will be putting up the post today I guess :)

Unknown said...

Luv2cook: Thank u. I used rice & didn't throw away after baking as the rice was still white. I tried cooking it, was fine.

Archanat: Thank u very much.

rp: Looks like we had the same thig in mind. Itz my pleasure.

Ramya: Thank u & of course I won't mind. I would love to know how u liked my recipe.

Vineela, menu today, Pamela: Thank u very much for the the compliments.

Kanda: Will try to do it tdy. Been very busy. Anyway, I'll bake one for u when I come back home. Seriya da?

Karthi: Thanx so much. I guess, my passion for baking plays a greater role than my hands.

Santhi: Gosh!!!! U r making me blush. I'm still a novice in baking, anyway.

Sharon: Many thanx. Adui!!! malu lah. Hey go bake one tdy.

Nanditha: Thank u very much. Will check out ur biscotti.

Anonymous said...

that looks fantastic pushpa! lovely pictures!

Bay_leaf said...

wow, looks lovely, Push! great photo and i'm sure it tasted great too. :)

Eva

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful. I tried ur peach cake and it was YUM. Iam loving ur baking sessions. Thank u so much.

Arthi said...

Pushpa: this looks very professional ! I have to try this once..I tried making meringue cookies for my toddler, but they turned brown in color. Have you done anything else with meringue ? The picture in the cake book had really white meringue cookies..any ideas ?

Tazz said...

Puspha, your pie looks very nice!

Anonymous said...

HI pushpa

That was really a good pie, my sons first b,day is near by so can u mail me a good recipes of cake this is my first try out since u do lot of baking so taught of asking your help

Unknown said...

SH & Eva: Thank u very much.

Priya: Thanx. I was looking for the cake in ur blog. Anyway, very glad that u liked the cake & the WBS serves the purpose.

Arthi: Thank u for the compliments. Use low temperature when baking meringues as meringue r very soft & delicate. Tend to brown very fast. Hope that helps.
I'll post one soon with more tips & explanations.

Eve: Thanx.

Rekha: Thank u very much for dropping by. Please e-mail me ur e-mail addy for me to reply to u.

Anonymous said...

Pushpa, i was plannign to take pictures and post it in my blog under treasured recipes 1. bcoz this is the first time iam baking a proper cake 2. i loved it. ANd the cake dissappeared as soon as it came out of the oven :) The same thing happened ith ashwini's lapshi, i told her ill post the pic but then its was tasty and u wont beleive it it at the whole thing all by myself , dint leave anything for my husband or for taking pics. Then i made it again last sunday and posted the pic. And iam sureley going to bake the cake again. And this time ill sureley post the pic :)

FooDcrazEE said...

that is delish...

Anonymous said...

hi pushpa

my e mail id is rr_567@hotmail.com
rekha

Unknown said...

Priya: Am I glad to hear that?! Looks like ur baking adventure has kick started. Well done & way to go.

Mike: Thanx a lot.

Rekha: Thank u. Will e-mail u asap.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...